Phyto Corporation is
a disruptive food tech startup
creating the future of food
with "PhytoSalt," a plant-based salt
that can reduce sodium intake by 20%
Salicornia grows in many seashore lands around the world. It is a halophyte that is raised by seawater and accumulates salt in its body. Salicornia is also known as ‘sea beans’ or ‘sea asparagus,’ and is a beneficial and sustainable food resource. So, people have attempted to consume Salicornia as a food source from a long time ago, but they could not eat it because it was too salty.
Phyto Corporation has, for the first time, isolated salt from Salicornia, and developed a new food resource, “PhytoMeal” which is not salty and thus edible. Further, the company has developed a plant-based salt, “PhytoSalt,” which separates the salt from the Salicornia plant.
PhytoSalt is a naturally low-sodium salt that can reduce sodium intake by 20%, so it is effective on high blood pressure. PhytoMeal is a new superfood ingredient that is effective in reducing body fat.
Phyto Corporation holds 35 patents to PhytoSalt, PhytoMeal and other Salicornia-based products.
Salicornia -> PhytoSalt + Desalted PhytoMeal
Winner of StartupSG Prize
Awarded by Singapore Government
at 'Future Food Asia 2019'
Selected as a participant in the TERRA Cohort IV in San Francisco,
a global innovation accelerator fueling ground-breaking transformation
in the food and agriculture industry.
Through such participation, Phyto Corporation is currently collaborating
with MLA(Meat & Livestock Australia), a global meat company,
in the development of new superfoods made with Australian meat
and Phyto Corporation's plant-based salt.
Project: "Meat with Plant-Based Salt"
Plant-Based Salt, "PhytoSalt" published in Food Navigator-Asia:
Phyto Corporation published in Food Navigator-Asia:
MemoryTea is now available for sale at E-Mart, the largest supermarket chain in South Korea.
Articles on Phyto Corporation Products
Published in SCI Journals
1. The ameliorative effects of the ethyl acetate extract of Salicornia europaea L. and Its bioactive candidate, Irilin B, on LPS-induced microglial inflammation and MPTP-intoxicated PD-like mouse model. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity 2019: 1-16 (2019)
2. Cognitive-enhancing and ameliorative effects of acanthoside B in a scopolamine-induced amnesic mouse model through regulation of oxidative/inflammatory/cholinergic systems and activation of the TrkB/CREB/BDNF pathway. Food and Chemical Toxicology 129: 444-457 (2019)
5. Desalted Salicornia europaea extract attenuated vascular neointima formation by inhibiting the MAPK pathway-mediated migration and proliferation in vascular smooth muscle cells. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy 94: 430-438 (2017)
• Salicornia, also known as ‘sea beans’ or ‘sea asparagus,’ is a beneficial and sustainable food resource.
• Salicornia can be mass-cultivated by seawater agriculture, which is a new agricultural method suitable for an age of food shortage resulting from water shortage.
• Seawater agriculture is sustainable and eco-friendly for the future of food;
it does not require the use of any freshwater, fertilizers or pesticides.
• Salicornia and seawater agriculture can solve global food shortages and climate change problems.
• Salicornia cultivation contributes to the increase of profit for farmers.
Copyright©: Phyto Corporation 2017. All Rights Reserved
2nd Fl., Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics
Seoul National University
Seoul, South Korea